Blasting Hoods and Breathing AirPowder Coating ovens and Spray Booths
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Infrared lights, anyone use them

Infrared lights, anyone use them

I am thinking about getting some Ir lights from to cure some bumpers that a frind of mine is building. Does anyone have any experience with these. Do they work very well.

Yes dry I use them in my oven. They work well once you get used to them. They give off a very direct heat which is different from a gas oven which is more convection. From my understanding though, infra red ovens are old school and being superseded by gas ovens which are a lot cheaper to run.

Hope this helps

Cheer sTurns

Just happy to be here ApolloPowderCoating's Avatar
    I have been wondering this also. The IR lights on stands I think is what you are talking about? How long does a piece take to cure, and what are the principals around using them? Tips tricks?

I have a 2-bulb IR light on a stand that I use from time to time to heat the powder [on certain jobs] just enough to flow before moving the rack into the oven. I usually only do that to very intricate jobs that I've wiped the second color from some areas. That way there are no "loose flakes" that could flutter onto the areas I just cleaned. I've never used it to fully cure a part nor would I. I really can't see how you could be sure the entire part was fully cured, unless it was a small flat panel, since the IR requires an unobstructed line of sight for the heat to reach unlike the heat from a convection oven.

Sorry i got confused by your post.

My actual oven is an infrared system - I will post pictures of my setup to explain. I would think that infrared lights on a stand would give inconsistant heat direction and results in curing to match.

As powdercoater says above there are cases where I/R lights on a stand can be utilised with good effect but not really as a stand alone curing system with reliable results. That being said I have seen good powdercoating results achieved in a domestic type oven - not suitable for me in a commercial sense.

Regards Turns

Just happy to be here ApolloPowderCoating's Avatar
    Good stuff Turns. Interested in your setup, waiting for pics

High Temp Metal Filler
    I'm wanting to get into powder coating. I'd like to stick to mostly small parts that'll fit in a conventional oven but wheels and other misc would be to big. I found out about the lights through eastwood. If anyone has experience with these let us know how well they work.

+ Reply to Thread