Blasting Hoods and Breathing AirPowder Coating ovens and Spray Booths
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: spoked bicycle wheels

spoked bicycle wheels

Gentleman--

Got a question for you. Ive never done a set of spoked bicycle wheels before. When I recieved them they still had the bearing portion in them where they attach the frame and forks. Do these have to be removed before prepping and spraying? or should I not worry about them? If pictures would help I will post some a little later.

TIA
    Josh

Radioaktive K3
    Herscher, IL 60941
    radioaktivek3@gmail.com

Powder coating a spoked bicycle or motorcycle wheel without fully disassembling it is a bad idea for several reasons.

- The spokes must be able to be tightened or loosened to true the wheel. Powder coating it without taking it apart will "glue" the spoke nipples fast so they can't be adjusted without causing damage to the finish.

- Spokes actually touch each other where they cross. As a spoke wheel rolls down the road it flexes slightly so those spkoes can't be glued together either.

- Finally, there is a pretty big Faraday Cage effect from all those spokes drawing the powder from getting to the hub. You will either have to get the gun tip too close to the spokes to get powder in there or try to shoot the part hot. If you try it hot good luck! You will likely get too much powder on the spokes causing a sag, run or drip besides exaggerating the first two problems I mentioned.

Bottom line, the best way to do it is in pieces. A bike shop doesn't charge much to lace them back up and true the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Powdercoater View Post
    Powder coating a spoked bicycle or motorcycle wheel without fully disassembling it is a bad idea for several reasons.

- The spokes must be able to be tightened or loosened to true the wheel. Powder coating it without taking it apart will "glue" the spoke nipples fast so they can't be adjusted without causing damage to the finish.

- Spokes actually touch each other where they cross. As a spoke wheel rolls down the road it flexes slightly so those spkoes can't be glued together either.

- Finally, there is a pretty big Faraday Cage effect from all those spokes drawing the powder from getting to the hub. You will either have to get the gun tip too close to the spokes to get powder in there or try to shoot the part hot. If you try it hot good luck! You will likely get too much powder on the spokes causing a sag, run or drip besides exaggerating the first two problems I mentioned.

Bottom line, the best way to do it is in pieces. A bike shop doesn't charge much to lace them back up and true the rim.
    Agreed. Take 'em apart first. (take a picture and look on you tube on how to re-assemble Spoked wheels... you may be good with attemtping this yourself as well)

Thanks guys for the headz up. Talked with a local bike shop and determined it was probably in the customers best interest just to buy new spoked rims, customer agreed so problem solved thanks again!!

Radioaktive K3
    Herscher, IL 60941
    radioaktivek3@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Radioaktive K3 View Post
    Thanks guys for the headz up. Talked with a local bike shop and determined it was probably in the customers best interest just to buy new spoked rims, customer agreed so problem solved thanks again!!
    Cool Beans,.... the only loss is the business you could have had. But I definitely agree to avoid things taht are not in your interests as well.

Just happy to be here ApolloPowderCoating's Avatar
    I would say a decision like that probably saved your reputation also. A good friend of mine says "Nate.. pick jobs that you will have the best success at"

Not saying easy, but the best job for you to shine. Pass up iffy or anything you are truly unsure of.

High Temp Metal Filler
    I have done a bunch of this type rim I always have the customer take them apart before I get them that way I dont lose any buisness and I dont have to try to respoke them

+ Reply to Thread